In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Saturday, December 9, 2017

The Real Restroom




A bed in a 'real restroom' that anyone at the university can book and use.  Emergency use is allowed too.  There are a few of these around our small university.  


The images on the blanked are the 'Dalarna Horse'.  Famous Swedish folk art from the Dalarna region , also known for skiing.  Most common of these are actually made in wood and painted red, with some intricate designs in white.  Today, you can find these in any material, stuff animals, metal, glass,  plastic etc. 





When I first learnt the term for lavatory or bathroom or toilet in the US it was slightly strange. I do not remember whether I learnt that in the US or before since I spent time with some Americans even before moving to the US.  But I know this that it was a polite way of calling a 'toilet', which in India is usually called 'bathroom' or 'Loo' --short for lavatory, which is quite British and still prevalent in Britain. In Sweden, they are simply called toalett

And rest rooms could be singular or multiple with a small seating or resting area.  The singular ones just had a sink outside the toilet area.  The ones with multiple stalls usually had a large sofa, or a love seat, or even a majestic chair (depending on the establishment where the restroom was).

I remember using those areas many a time when I was too tired to go home but had to work in the library.  Those lost years, when I read like crazy.

So I have many memories of taking short naps on couches and sometimes even bearing the strange looks from those who visited.  But that was the time without money and security and staying at the library all day was better than going home to a two bedroom apartment where four girls lived, and where my contribution was only worth nights stay on the living room couch.  The living room couch by the way, was old and tired and had pushed many a metallic springs outwardly.  I had no choice.  So many times used my pillow to rest my back.

And at that standard of my life, you see, resting in the restroom was much more comfortable.

But then, a move to Sweden made me realize something else.  First, the country that is obsessed with design makes sure that furniture –even at a university, -is quite comfortable.  The furniture is meant to provide comfort so enhance concentration in class, but is also created with some of the brightest colors to compensate for the gloomy days.

Then some time ago, someone told me that there are actual rest rooms at the university.  And about two weeks ago, I saw one.

Here are the  pictures.




A sign --pointing towards the restroom


The door with the sign for a resting place (usually used to show hotels)




A sign left on the bed that anyone who wishes to use the room can use. Upptaget--meaning occupied.



As one can see, there is a 'toilet' next to the rest room, but it is a unisex toilet, and can be used both by men and women. 







So, after noticing the rest room, I started to notice something else, these simple, elegant and very 'designer' study areas on campus. They provide privacy and yet do not block the outside world, or make it too dark and claustrophobic inside. As you can see in the picture below.



 I did get permission of the girls before taking this picture. 







The above two pictures were taking for artistic reasons, as one can see the girls in the reflection.  

I could have used such fancy study areas when I was a student. 



No comments:

Post a Comment