In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Ek Mulakat, Sar e Rah! (A Meeting on the Way!)



Sabah and Noyan, November 2012


Here I ask them their names and where are they from--Sweden? I ask..'No, Afghanistan' they say. Really, they are a lot less from Afghanistan than I am from India.  And I get confused often where I am from.  Sometimes I wonder if the whole world is an immigrant and only a few of us have the courage to acknowledge that!! 


Here I talk to Noyan in hindi.  I ask Noyan to say something in hindi.  He is confused. I ask him his name.  Then ask him how did he learn hindi, 'my mom' he responds.  Sabah did not speak hindi very well and so she is trying to slide off the frame!!




I have to agree when people say that I have the best experiences.  The same things that bring restlessness also bring the freedom of just waiting a little extra time, paying attention to things that we may not usually pay attention to--when someone is waiting at home.

I have been in this habit of small talk for ages now.  I think regardless of how busy I am, I would always engage in this 'causal conversation' that has brought me so much over the years.

So yesterday was Diwali.  Our festival of lights.  Our Christmas and ID and Hannukah!! But I had forgotten about it, since I have been travelling.

The day before yesterday I went into town to get a few things I knew i needed. Namely 'lights'.

As always I have to ask for directions in these areas.

I thought it was a long shot, but I tried anyway when I saw two young people--very young...under 12 walking on the street.

'Excuse me, do you speak english?"

Ao, Yes, the boy nodded.

"Do you know where is the store?"

Yes, we are going there.

And I followed them.

'Hur manga sprak talar du?' How many languages do you speak?" I asked

'Three' (Svenska, Engelska, Afghani!!)

"Afghani?"  I got excited.  All these places seem close to home.  I know that Afghanistan has gotten a bad reputation for the last few decades, but I know Afghanistan and its Kabul from Tagore's Kabuliwallah. One of my all time favorite stories.  The story has been brought to screen in at least two languages, may be more.  I read it in 4th grade, and have read several times since.  In addition I made my advance media writing students in the US read the story.

The main character and his friendship with a five year old girl was so endearing that I always wanted to know people from Afghanistan.

The there was an Afghani shepherd who used to stop early spring around our house and request my grandfather for the new soft leaves from our Peepal tree, to feed his goats.  The green eyed owner of goats was so darn beautiful that we kids would line up to see him.  Sometimes he would forget to ask permission and my grandfather would be yelling at him to come down and leave his tree alone.  My grandfather loved plants.   If we wanted to aggravate him, all we had to do was pluck a leaf from any of the plants or trees in our yard--while he was watching!!

In case the readers are wondering if I grew up in a village--NOPE, in the liveliest of all cities.  New Delhi, India.  But as is common knowledge, many centuries live in India at the same time.  And so shepherds and cow owners were always among us!!

So I was excited to hear that these kids were Afghani.  Obviously they are first generation swedish.

'Which Afghani language do you speak?"

'Dari, Hazare..'  he said, and I smiled.

He asked me where I was from. I usually respond I grew up in India.

'Indien?" asked the young boy.

'Yes'

And just on a sar sari taur (casually) I asked--' Do you know any Indian language?"

"Yes'

I thought he was joking.

'Hindi aati hai? Know hindi?" I asked (Hindi, is considered the national language.  Although what is official in India is always debatable.  But Hindi is by far the most commonly spoken language in India. Also, being the Bollywood language it lands far and wide.  I spoke hindi with many people in Bhutan for that reason.'

"Hain' he said.

Ok, that is just one word I thought.

"kaise aati hai? how do you know?

'Pata nahi' he shrugged 'Don't know.'

This can be happening I thought, but I had to explore that, 'My mom taught me' he said.

"May be hindi movies?"

"Yes' he nodded.

I smiled at both the kids and asked them if they would let me hug them.

They did. We exchanged a few more sentences in hindi before I asked them to let me take their pictures. 

The pictures here do not do them justice.  They were such beautiful kids, but I was touched by their simplicity and willingness to help, to talk, to let me hug them.

I know we live in a crazy world, kids should not allow silly people like me too close to them.  But it is because of these trusting children, that 'idealist souls' like me find a way to enjoy my ride on the winding road...in this wanton world.

Before I went into the grocery store, I acknowledged how calm and peaceful my heart felt.  I hugged them again.

And went about my work, as if it was a sar sari (casual) happening!! But don't we all when we experience little miracles --varje dag (everyday?)!!

Be open to these miracles, people be open...it will transform us!!
Shukran (thank you) to Noyan and Sabah--for reminding me that!!

PS: I also wanted to put these pictures here to show that yes they are afghani and they children, just like kids anywhere--only with a an understanding of a few extra languages.  


No comments:

Post a Comment