In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Sunday, March 8, 2020

International Women's Day

Last published on March 15, 2014---Here it is for all the readers again for obvious reasons.

IN 2013, there was a young Ukranian woman staying with me and I remember her busy all day long on the phone calling her relatives. Apparently it is a huge day in all the former communist countries.  

And something I have not talked about, but might write in detail at some point, over a decade ago I had a burglary in my house in this day....well, the guy was in the house and threatened to kill me. Universe intervened and he had to run out.  It took me about 2 years to get normal again.  a year later my students gave me a nice party to forget it.  Today---most of those days and worlds are gone including people. Gone meaning out of my life, and despite all the big things on this day, I think and remember how everything is temporary and we spend time on useless things.  

Man or woman, everyone should be celebrated and let us not be swayed by advertising and big talks.  Humans are struggling to be loved and seen, let us always remember that. 

Go make someone's day....



___________________________-


Last week was International Women's Day.  The last time I wrote anything about the event was in 2011, and shared a cartoon that could fit the theme of the day!!

A colleague had invited us to participate.  Knowing me, I hardly have the time. But I wanted to take a break. I hardly get time off. Weekends are not enough to relax, or even catch up.  So, I showed up with my camera. The whole thing lasted an hour, or less.  But it was delightful.  Libraries here in Sweden organize many such events.  A special theatre that plays only 'foreign-often non english speaking films with Swedish titles' is also housed in the library.  It has a tourist bureau and a very nice cafe.  So, it is truly a meeting place, that is focused towards the arts, culture and development of the mind. 



Young Thai Girls







Russian and Eastern European Outfits



Young girls dressed in Russian outfits!



No description needed here. Kimonos from Japan!!



A beautiful Ecuadorian girl, and chinese women on her side. 






A Swedish Woman getting ready to participate in the parade.



The Swedish lady shared that the fabric, red and green was woven by her mother, and she sewed the dress herself.  



A former teacher, now she devotes her time to creative activities such as sewing, the Swedish Woman told us. 





Irina, the gorgeous Russian, who lived in Estonia for a long time, is our main librarian.  She is ever helpful, and was the one who invited us all to this event.  Irina herself is a great cook and an excellent seamstress.  She is also wearing an outfit that she sewed herself.





Ukraine and Russian Beauties



A slice of Russia




Samovar, an old way form of 'heating device combine with a thermos'. I have asked Irina to bring it to my class sometimes to show the students how the technology has changed over time. 





Young girl, dressed as a belly dance.  She posed so elegantly!!





Women proudly walk about in their native garbs…..




And caught children wearing outfits from different cultures all sharing a Pizza….truly international aye!!

On my way back home I spent time with my friend from Ecuador.  We hardly get time to spend together so since we were taking the same bus, I thought of stopping at her work place for another Women's day celebration.  Her work was on the way….but before that…..we needed to eat.  I was starving.  I hardly have the time to cook these days, but I am grateful that much work is getting done. Things are getting sorted out, albeit slow.  And I can see some light.  May be it is the 'Spring' effect. But despite the exhaustion that I feel, I feel that I know what I am doing now--somewhat!!


So, here are pics and video from the second place.  Apparently its a big thing in Europe. Last year I had a young Ukrainian girl living with me for a couple of weeks.  The entire morning of international Women's day, she was on the phone.  She told me that it was a big celebration in Ukraine.  I was going to say like mother's day in the US, but people only call their own moms.  Unlike myself, who calls about four women including my own mom that day.  

Kvinnor's Dagen (Women's Day)


There are many Somalians in our little town.  Africans in general are known for their graceful gait and inherent understanding of rhythm!!  





I thought it was important to capture this since many people do not associate muslim people with having fun.  Here were women, men, children and families having fun and eating good food.



One man took pride in explaining much about Somalia to us. One thing that fascinated me was that since Somalia is a dry country (no alcohol use) it has systems in place, for young to have fun--i.e. place for dancing, under the supervision of adults.  For some reason western media will make it all sound so suppressed.  Nope, the reality is alcohol is not required to have fun!! 



Two young kudistanian girls, with their festive hats.  Their mother (in the back) proudly explained me to that she bought the outfits for her girls in Kurdistan. 


And whatever place is touched by Indians is touched by their food and spices.  At the Somalian stall,  here were Bhajia's and guess what?




The omnipresent Samosa (Sambusa).  I ask the young man about Indian-Somalian relationship, as Indians in all countries are known as shrewd businessmen.  "oh, they are very nice, we have a very friendly relation with them.'

That thought was a good ending to the day!!







No comments:

Post a Comment