In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Saturday, November 21, 2015

Pushp Ki Abhilasha!! A Flower’s Wish


There is a reason that school curriculum is supposed to be designed by those who love and know the culture of that country.  The following poem was part of our fourth grade Hindi textbook.  It must have an impact---for me to remember it even today.

Pushp Ki Abhilasha!! A Flower’s Wish 
By Makhanlal Chaturvedi


I do not wish to be part of the ornament of daughter of Gods,
I do not wish to lure sweet love by being a part of lover’s Garland for her,
I do not wish O God, to be offered to the bodies of the great Kings,
I do not wish to take pride by adorning the foreheads of Gods
Will you, O gardener !!—pluck me and throw me on the path
Where the bravemen of my nation tread to offer their heads to the motherland!!

NOTE:  Please click here to listen to a melodic rendition of the poem!!





No comments:

Post a Comment