In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Friday, April 6, 2012

April Showers Bring May Flowers

Yes, but does April snow bring cherry blossoms?  May be--but that is what happens in Sweden. Every year April is the most unpredictable month.  End of march we got some really sunny days and wearing a jacket was too warm. 

However today, April 5th, 2012.  This is what happened mid-day.  


I quickly put on my jacket to capture the magic.  It does not last very long in April, but it is still magical.  


Last year when we got snow in May, I remember looking at this shrub in my neighbor's yard and thinking we had new white flowers.  Until I realized that it was snow. 


Here is a close up of a new bud--blurred-- and in the background is the fresh, wet, light and white snow.


Right under the snow is a very fine carpet of moss growing.  The ground is not as hard as it was in winter.  But here we are, enjoying nature's whims.  She decides to change her mood.  And we must bow in joy. 


How can one be joyful, when the breeze is biting, and trees are roaring as they sway in the wind?


Well, as I was thinking that I started to walk around my neighborhood.  And not only did I find above and following pictures of a quietness and sensed that many adults are not paying attention to this beauty--.  I heard, lively laughter.  


I started to follow the chuckles.  At first it seemed like kids were snowboarding.  There were screams and screeches. But then I arrived at the house that is two houses down. 





And through the fence I could see two little kids throwing snow at each other, and laughing in joy, just children in India and Fiji play in the rain, or children in Botswana in the dust, the children in Sweden call snow their friend.  Their parents cover them up and let them play in the snow.  Two days ago, when it was quite sunny, I saw boys playing hide and seek.  I stood mesmerized for a while.  I have not seen that in a long time.  In US, or India or even Fiji.  But I recognized how much children crave the freedom of the outdoors. 

I know these boys.  I talk to them whenever I can, but am limited by my Swedish.  'Vad spelar du?" means 'What are you playing?"  I have asked them that specific question at least 20 times in the last year. But until my Swedish gets better, the conversation cannot go further.  But here, notice with what joy they recognize me.  That made my day. 



Don't laugh at my Swedish. It is taking so much longer to get there.  So, the next question usually is, 'Hur gamlan?" How old are you?  I have asked that before too.  He answers "fem' for both, meaning 'Five'.  I asked if they both are Five.  Yes, they answer.  Ar du compisar? eller broder? Are you friends or brothers.  Compisar--friends. 


Vanta, Vanta, (Wait, Wait).....
I try my best you know....to speak Swedish. 



He peeked through the fence and caught me off guard....but what joy!!


And the fun continued.  I returned home filled with joy.  Grateful for this snow, sort of untimely, but more grateful for those untouched, simple spirits that made me say, 'Its another day to live'

Have a lovely day!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment