In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Thursday, August 9, 2012

Back to the Land of Light

So glad to be back to the land of light.  A friend of mine, here in Sweden, keeps saying, 'How do people in other parts of the world know its summer, if they do not have super long days?'

And this summer I recognized what she meant. 

It got dark at about 6 pm in South Africa.  The first day was really hard to take.  Just as hard, as the first winter here in Sweden was.   It got dark at 3 pm.  

Strange how quickly we humans get used to our 'homes'.  South Africa was amazing and will write about that.  I did some work and some play.  But combining work and vacation is not recommended.

However, what I really want to say is that despite a good time, an amazing experience, having met some really good people, and some deeply moving exchanges, I was glad to be back in the land of light.  The familiarity, the greenry, and the quietness surrounded me.  I know why, even though I grew up in a bustling city that I have enjoyed small towns......in their sleepiness and 'lack of culture' they provide something that nurtures and strengthens our spirit, 'Silence'

Following pictures were taken more than a month ago, past 10 pm, on my way back home from an evening bike ride.

It was light enough to capture these drawings that neighborhood kids had drawn on the street.  









And that's my bike!!

No comments:

Post a Comment