In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Even at the end of the world--COKE



I was returning back to Durban, after spending a few days in near the Drakensberg mountains.  By the roadside at Winterton, the closest town to the Inkosana Lodge, where I stayed, there was mild traffic, school children were walking home, a woman lazed around reading the advertisements in a newspaper, and this man walked by.  His hands were empty, he was missing a couple of teeth, and seemed like he did not have any direction.

'Excuse me, excuse me', I said, hoping he would not get mad. I was told people in South Africa did not like being photographed. I had been denied twice already.

'May I take a picture--of you.'

He seemed confused, but stood still.

That was my cue.

Could you zip up your jersey please?

He did.

And smile.

He was cautious.  So, you get a cautious smile.

But what I wanted to get was, COKE sweatshirt, in a town there public transport was not a daily affair. The bus came only three times a week.  Getting cabs was difficult.  There was one gas station for miles.

And there it was ....COKE, using a frail human body to advertise its goods.

After I took the picture, I wondered if COKE was the reason he was missing teeth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment