In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Saturday, December 24, 2022

Memories from Malaysia

Believe it or not, I wrote this post in 2012, but the pictures were taken in 2006....

Since this was all Xmas time....here it is.....

By the way, prepared it all on 12/11/12, you know that special date...or was it 12/12/12...?

Never published before....



A regular jewelry store and these girls could be from any country--despite their slightly oriental looks....you can find them anywhere today.  As a traveller I can vouch for that. So that is why I took this picture--In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2006. 






I take pictures of MacDees around the world!! And especially of any sign of what they call ‘internationalization!!  Terima Kasih---is Thankyou in Malay! 

The following pictures were taken around China town, if I remember well....


And there is ‘dragon fruit’  It is prettier than its taste.  The taste is quite bland, to be crude and quite ‘delicate’ to be subtle.  But I love the way it looks both inside out.  So, in that sense a true beauty!! Dragon fruit, as I guess most of you know is the one that is the brightest in the following picture...and looks like a pretty pink (deep pink) dragon!!











A, my friend who I visited when I was in Malaysia.  She was working on her undergrad during my Phd days.....


Above picture is of A’s pretty daughter.  I remember our first interaction.  She was shy and would not say anything. Then I used my camera as icebreaker. She stared intently at the pictures as I created a slideshow for her.  And then at one point she spoke, ‘McDondalds’!! and we were in business....







I love palm trees exhibit colors other than 'green'















Girls with style are noticeable everywhere...here is a young girl, all in pink...






that thin is actually a 3-D painting and you can see a real person walking ahead...





the bricks and the sailboat...all of it is a painting...this was the time I use to take pictures of murals everywhere...





Ah yes....this was an ad for KitKat!





My friend .....


The famous building in Malaysia....







Someone's getting a ticket....



I love the food court in Malaysia...








This was sooo beautiful and so delicate. I could not buy it, it was too expensive. Close to 500 USD if remember. It was handprinted or something..but I used to wear sarongs at the time in Fiji...and tried it on. Learnt that trick in my student days. Try it on, get a pick taken, be happy with the memories and continue with life...



Here is the sales woman...


Another one...

Memories from childhood, and memories of Asia...the sugarcane juice....you get the best one in India....with spices and all...



Really that’s tradition!! ? Oh yeah, Baju Kurung --the transparent top that the woman is wearing.  But then traditionally, it is not supposed to be transparent, if you know what I mean....




My beautiful friend....I visited her and she gave me the best memories.  I still have all her pics tucked in somewhere. I created a package for her and sent it along with a student, who was visiting Malaysia, but she could not deliver it...I got busy and left Fiji and got busier....I still have the coasters that I got from her...a gift for guests at her sister's wedding.  I still have an old sarong I bought in Malaysia.  Here is her youthful face reminding me of our Good times....

Have a good Christmas everyone....

No comments:

Post a Comment