In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Opposite of Vatican: Christania, Copenhagen






The little community seems so far away from the rest of the city:  Christiania, 2013


Mural on they wall that surrounds the community: Christiania, 2013



Art Work on the Walls in Christiania: 2013, Copenhagen



Christiania, which sounds like a little utopian-ultra religious town is anything but---

Having read about it in Lonely Planet, and discussed the town for its 'rebellious properties'--I knew I had to see it for myself.

When I told friends that I was going to go there, they said in utter surprise, 'Really?"  

Yes, just as a tourist.

They smiled.


Also known as Freetown Christiania, the town is a is a self-proclaimed autonomous neighborhood of about 850 residents, covering 34 hectares (84 acres) in the borough of Christianshavn, in the Danish Capital of Copenhagen (Wiki).
Although general public and civic authorities regard Christiania as a large commune, the area is unique in the sense that it is regulated by Christiania Law of 1989, which allows it to be directly under the state rather than the municipality of Copenhagen. (Wiki). 
The town/region/neighborhood has been the center of several controversies since its creation in 1971. Among many things, the town is known for its legalized and liberal use of marijuana—which is why its residents also call it the ‘Freetown’.
I personally do not understand the connection between any form of drug and freedom, but it is important to some that they loose consciousness in varying degrees.  I do know that facing reality and living through life without drugs (including pain killers that are legally sold by Pharmaceuticals) is hard, and numbing ourselves makes it easier.   So, we numb ourselves with several things (I use sugar, over dose of sweet things works in the same way), alcohol, caffeine, work, and sometimes even family.  But the town is known for living very differently from the rest of the clean-cut Copenhagen city.
You can easily read about the riots, the drug busts and other controversies on the net, especially wiki if you wish.  But I want to share how it felt when I was there.
It felt that I had left Denmark without leaving the country.  I was in a different mind set once I got off the bus.  And the moment I got off, I checked the time for next bus to be sure to get on it.
The town seemed like it was stuck somewhere in a smoke of being different.  And yet, it seemed like a community that was not only forgotten but had forgotten itself, except some amazing art work on the walls.   It was April and the Christmas tree was standing intact.  Maybe, they did not ever take it down.
There was a garage sale that did not seem like a weekend thing. It seemed like it was their daily market.  People looked like they were from a movie set in the 12th century—unkempt hair, shabby appearance and stiff lips.  
I saw some young children riding bikes.  I wondered how many people there were tourists.  I assumed all those who looked like they had combed their hair that morning were visitors.
I am not putting the community down or stating only negative things.  I am just sharing what I felt. And ofcourse, I could be wrong.  Not much of a conformist myself (an idealist is not (always) a conformist), I can see some value is rebelling, or expressing itself, but I do not understand how we help the world when we are not in a position to be a functional human being.  That was always my problem with a drinking or drug culture.  It does not help us be better or change the world, only self-destruct.
But, I have heard that it was one of the (many) first communities to protest against copyright and supports copyright reforms.  –
Regardless, the best definition and explanation of the town came when I asked my Swedish Students to describe the town to Erasmus exchange and International Students.
Most of the smiled and then one Information and PR student came up with a very appropriate explanation---

“Well, you could say the town is The Opposite of the Vatican!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment