In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Vuxen Poång! Being an Adult!!


The Globalization Reader: Under the lamp on a student desk


The Globalization Reader: Under the lamp on a student desk

Every language has certain concepts that seem like toy concepts to others--but in a good sense--as in we wish we had them too.  And one such concept in Swedish is Vuxen (adult) poång (point)--put together it means Grown Up points. Nobody's counting but they add towards your status as a grown up.

So graduating, getting a job, moving into your own apartment, getting married, having children, all of them are Vuxen Poångs!!

We had to be in this auditorium for a meeting. I did not know that the meeting was in Swedish, and since I have never really taken classes, and have had so much pressure of work, I speak about 15% Swedish.  I do understand stuff here and there.  And when time allows I practice online, I love Swedish movies--but generally I cannot consider myself anywhere near fluent.

So, I was grateful that I had a book which I needed to prepare for my class that week.  It worked.  

Next to me sat this young boy, who had just finished his masters and had gotten a part time teaching position as an assistant.  Btw, Swedes are known for design.  And it is obvious in the classrooms and the way Universities are designed.  The classroom decor is great, many classrooms have artwork on the walls, and the chairs are ultra comfortable with padded seats, which in some halls even recline.  Almost every classroom of course has a projector and screen, a white board and many now have smart boards. Blackboards are completely out.  Transparency projectors lie there in the classroom being ignored and I feel so bad for them.

Back to the story.  So this young man sitting next to me showed me how to use the lamp on the folding table which accompanied my reclining seat.  Viola!!  there was light enough to read!!  

'The wonders you can find out when you sit in a student's chair' I said.

'Yes, and there are things to find out on the other end too'  he said.

¨Like?¨

¨Well, as an adjunct I found out that I actually have access to the lunch room, and coffee machine, I can get pens and special folders.  I don't really need them, but it made me feel like....wow, these are the perks of grown ups, special lunch room and coffee breaks'

'Yeah, in between you have much work though, lad' I tapped my pen on his shoulder and he laughed, 'Oh, I know'

I guess the young man was gushing at his new found adulthood.

'Vuxen Poång?¨  I looked at him.
Very much so, he chuckled a silly, enthusiastic laughter, which made me realise he had a while to go before he gave in to adult cynicism.

Good for him!!







No comments:

Post a Comment