In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Friday, December 20, 2019

Pictures from Christmas Past: 2010

Last published on Dec 21, 2017, this is originally from 2010 (although published in 2011).  This was my first Christmas in Sweden.  What I cannot ignore in this post are the wo young  women, whose voice you hear...were my first students in Sweden.  Nearly a decade later, they remain in my life and have made me a better person just by their presence, they each deserve a separate post.

Always, always know that time, means much.  Spending time on people means they matter.  It means we are willing to invest in them.  

I clearly remember my first semester when these girls had never been to my house but knew where I lived, stood around the area and yelled my name.  I hurriedly opened the door.  They had a huge pizza in their hand. I made tea and we chatted for long.

The conversations continue to this day...

Here is to this magical time, which is more magical in darker countries, and a reminder that we become our best selves through the people we know!!

No woman is an island!!

Merry Holidays!!


________________________



First published on 11-29-11--November 11, 2011, its time to repost this fun post from X-mas time.  The pictures and video is actually from 2010, a Christmas I spent in Sweden.  My first, with two of the people, who became and important part of my life.  It was a dark Christmas and I was so unsure of having moved here, just like I was four years before of having moved to Fiji.  But despite everything, I have stuck around, even though I still fancy leaving.  I have formed somewhat of a community.  I spoke with Bengt today, another person I met on my first visit to this country, even before I moved here.  

It is the season, it is the time.  But to see how many winters I have spent here, is a miracle in itself. Much has been accomplished, even though I am fond of putting myself down.  Much still needs to be accomplished.  My place looks like a home. I have four invitations for JulAfton, Christmas eve celebrations, which is the main day people celebrate here. 

My teaching is non-stop.  Still teaching new courses.  But publications are plenty.  And yet, a nagging sense of not-belonging.  Which may never leave me now.  

Yet, as the year turns....I want to share something I found else where on the net.

Felicitations on the Astronomical Uttarāyaṇa उत्तरायण that begins today, on the Winter Solstice. (The astrological U. begins on Makara Sankranti मकर सङ्क्रान्ति, a few weeks later.) Today is when the Sun begins its northern movement that will last until the Summer Solstice. This is how people in India celebrated new year, with an understanding of what it is, not just a new year, but an upward movement of the Sun. January 14, (will write about it more later.) is when we celebrate the beginning of the end of winter. And folks in Sweden have a holiday too (more on that later).

For now, enjoy the photographs, and songs and drunken tourists and the warmth (whether or temperature or the heart) of the season, whereever you all are.....


Following pictures and videos were taken last year around Christmas time




Christmas tree on campus, in its winter glory. 2010


Pictures in downtown Karlstad.  2010



Houses in the neighborhood in different light...with flash..


without flash

And there are some christmas lights

Only in Sweden can you see these while (plastic) trees....an attempt to replicate pine trees naturally covered with snow




Christmas Market in Town



Home Made Wreaths and other decorations




Pine Wreath, with a tomte (a troll-like santa claus)
Lichen Wreath



Me thinks this is a reindeer or some sort of a lapland animal...






Now these are popular. Handmade Reindeers. Come Christmas time they are everywhere




Red local buses...this could be State College (CATA buses) or London for that matter...


The following pictures and videos were taken in Stockholm, 2010





Tables set up to help the homeless, who are very few in number.  So anyone is welcome really.  The women are passing out Glogg, a swedish christmas drink and canned food. 



Stockholm, near the central train station. 




The boat hostel...











The two men were slightly drunk.  But continued singing their Christmas songs.  They told us they were from Poland. There is a video of them later on in this post.  Although you get to see nothing because of perpetual movement.  The sounds alone give an idea of how much we were having. 



Dinner with friends: When I first published it, I did not mention the two young women who brought me to spend Xmas with them.  Dragged me from boat house and made me feel a part of their lives.  J and L.  They have been a consistent part in my life. I am often mocked that my friends are all ages, especially very young. But I also have friends who are my parents age and older.  Age is never a matter when hearts meet.  But especially when we can have meaningful conversations.  And evolve as human beings.  These two girls have done that for me. They adopted me when I came here and they still brighten my life, even though we have not seen each other in over 8 years!!  This is to heart to heart friendship J and L.  We are not connected on Facebook and hardly use what's app.  But we have used Skype and real phone calls and letters and notes and of course the old fashioned email to remind each other---what it means to be a friend!! (added--2019). 



I spotted this group at the train station singing Christmas carols in Swedish.  It was a delight. I hope they bring you the same peace they brought me as I pointed my camera at them. 




The Polish guys in Christmas spirit.


The following two videos are nothing extraordinary. I have seen this set up in several countries.  Yet whenever I see it, it brings me to a dreamy mood...relaxes me and so...like sunsets and sunrises, no matter how many of them I have seen, I take my camera out...to honor the scene.  Same here.  I hope you enjoy it too.   Merry and Bright Christmas



















No comments:

Post a Comment