In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Friday, December 18, 2020

Finns här några snälla barn? Are there any nice children here?

From earlier this year, published on Jan 31, 2020.....back here with some memories of christmas, 


Bing bong, bing bong, bing bong, bing bong

Ute faller snö
I splittan blacken stå
Och äter lugnt sitt hö
När ljudet honom når

Att selen lyftes ner
Och framför släden snart
Med oss han sedan sig beger
I väg med väldig fart!

Bjällerklang, bjällerklang
Hör dess dingle-dång
Flingor som nu virvlar
Om i munter vintersång


Bing bong, bing bong, bing bong, bing bong
Snow is falling outside
In the split black stand
And quietly eats his hay
When the sound reaches him

That the harness is lifted down
And in front of the sled soon
With us he then turns
Get away with great speed!

Bell ringing, bell ringing
Hear its dangling bang
Flakes now swirling
If in cheerful winter song
oh..


So this is a common poem sung/recited around Christmas in Sweden. 





One of the unique things that you notice in Sweden about Christmas time is that Santa is NOT red!!  They come in all colors, even red, but mostly NOT red.  You see them in grey, green, brown!! And some red.  They say that red santa is courtesy cocacola! 



The grey Santa Claus, is more reflective of colors used originally in Sweden.  But also because he was actually NOT santa claus.  He is Tomte.  Which does not mean Santa Claus.  In fact, the word Jul, which is used for Christmas does not mean Christmas.  Both these words pre-date Christianity.  Jul is the celebration time during the darkest of winters, and with Christianity was replaced with Christmas and a Christmas tree. 

So here is definition of Tomte from the internet: 

Tomte (Swedish) or Tonttu (Finnish, also called Nisse in Norway) are solitary, mischievous domestic spirits, responsible for the protection and welfare of a farmstead and its buildings.Tomte literally means 'homestead man' and is derived from the word 'tomt' which means homestead or building. Tomtratt: is also used to imply a 'plot' as in a piece of land on which the house is build.  Tomte, therefore were guards, but sometimes trouble makers.  And Tomte is not a friendly person.  

Btw, Nisse, in Swedish is used for helpers, or elves during Christmas. 

So since Tomte is not a nice person, children are afraid of him and he usually comes Christmas eve, the day Swedes celebrate Christmas and says: Finns här några snälla barn?  Aree there any nice children here.  Which is the same as, 'have you been good? If you have been good, you will get gifts this year'.  So I have a special affection for the Tomte!!

My first Christmas in Sweden, I had an interesting experience.  I was wearing a red parka and on purpose had worn a red and white hat. Not really a Santa hat, although I own one. But a red and white hat. I was walking by a primary school in my neighbourhood when a young girl ran after me, 'Ar du tometen?"  are you the Tomte, she asked. Then she requested some gifts. I was touched and felt so bad, as I shook my head. But I decided to get her something.

I found out after asking her name that her parents were from Syria and she was a muslim. So you can imagine, muslim children wanting gifts, like the christian kids.  I ran back to the store and bought a huge bag filled with little chocolates thinking that is an appropriate gift, and that no one will oppose that.  By the time I came her teachers had taken her inside and I was not allowed to talk to the children.  I might have written this incident somewhere else on the blog.  At least this is how I remember it.

Following (and above) photographs are from a Varandra hem, a hostel that I have been visiting in another town to complete a statistics course. See how nicely  they have decorated the place for Christmas. 





HERE ARE SOME images from the varandrahem (hostel or a common boarding place) that I have bene staying as I take this statistics class. I love it.  It feels like I have two homes. I move between my town and this place, where I get a room with twin beds. There is no attached bathroom, just a window with view of the street. Nothing spectacular.  But it feels great. I have learnt so much with this. 

I reduced the amount of things I carry with me.  A few t-shirts but only one sweater.  just one, often beige or dull colours, so they are not noticeable.  Meaning I wear them for four straight days.  However, I carry four thick books. a journal and sometimes two cameras. 





Alexandra, one of the hostel caretakers, (the other is Felicia) setting up Christmas decorations. 





Already shrinking of snow at the train station.  Have visited the train station so much this past semester.  But we did not have a white Christmas. 






Sweden's creativity!! Its all done from foliage specially prepared for this season.  It might actually be artificial.  Not sure, since it becomes stiff after whatever they spray on it. 




The display at Goteborg train station. See the simplicity--- see how it comes alive, no faces, no fancy stuff. Simple, Sweet, Spectacular, Swedish!!





No comments:

Post a Comment