In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Friday, October 9, 2020

More Musings About the Moon

 Here is a follow up blog again from December 2012.  First published on Dec 7, 2012. 


PS: Blogger is changing several things, one is that I cannot simply repost, but have to create a new post if I want to schedule my posts. I schedule during the week so that bloggers posts automatically. Saves me time. I have so much material here on this blog --much of it is not saved else place.  I hope this process will continue. At some point, I know i will start a new blog possibly with my name. But for now, this is all I have. Enjoy the post, write from time to time.....thanks. 



I don't know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum
 George Bernard Shaw quotes (Irish literary CriticPlaywright and Essayist. 1925 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1856-1950)

When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger



The Burglar
neglected to take
the window's moon

                                                                                       John Daido Loori, 
Zen of Creativity, p. 154


Sometimes, the moon is the most expensive thing a Burglar could take....but AH.... the most precious of things can never be stolen!!  They can only be enjoyed....like love!!  There is a whole tradition of stealing love, like Lord Krishna does, in hindu mythology.  But this stealing of love is still done by belonging.  By noticing, by caring, by giving of one’s attention.  Like Lord Krishna does for Radha.  But, in the final analysis, the richness of it all lies in experiencing the joy in your lover’s eyes.

Just like the moon, so rich and silvery, can never be had, but may be in its reflection, which is fleeting....

Karlstad, Sweden, December 2010.  

We were headed towards town for a faculty dinner, just before Christmas break.  As we all stood freezing at the bus stop --yes Swedes included, none of us could ignore the bright moon. I was lucky, as always, to have my camera hanging on my knapsack.  

I have also to acknowledge the richness that I have been given in the midst of all confusion.  The four full moons between beginning of August 2012, and end of October 2012 (August 2012 had two full moons) were all spent in different countries on three different continents.

They all had their own flavors, the moonrise over the Drakensberg mountain, the shiny moon of early autumn in Sweden, the quiet silent one in Bhutan and finally the one in Singapore--waving a finger at busy singaporeans to slow down.....


Bhutan September 28, 2012


Bhutan September 28, 2012
Both the above the below pictures were taken in Bhutan.  The starkness is so apparent, the pictures look black and white.  If you click on the pictures and see them in their enlarged version, you will notice the grey clouds framing the moon.

However, if you notice the following two pictures, you will see the distant lights of Paro City.  I remember staring at it in the dark  Bhutan is quite safe, so I could simply breath in the fresh, slightly chilly Bhutan air and simply whisper a ‘thankyou!!'



Bhutan September 29, 2012


Bhutan September 29, 2012

The following two pictures are again from Karlstad, Sweden. Feb 2011.  Notice how bright is lady of night (In India the moon is a ‘man’. Affectionately referred to as Mama, mother’s brother!! 


Karlstad, Feb, 2011


Here are two quotes from different traditions, Buddha vs. Mark Twain.  Both of whom I have affection for....for different reasons. I leave you with these two quotes for you to ‘muse a bit about the moon!!’ and its place in our world, thoughts and cultures.

“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

 Buddha quotes (Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.)

     I Like this quote I dislike this quoteEvery one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody

PS:  Here are links to all time favorite songs where lovers are talking to the ‘Chanda’ (the moon) or their love....through the moon!

1. Dam Bhar Jo Udhar Moon Phere (If only (dear Moon) you look away for a moment, I will show affection to my beloved)

2. Yeh raat yeh chandni phir kahan (Neither this evening nor this moonlight will return (in the same way), so come my beloved to meet me.

This Rainy Night ...these stunning surroundings
And Rising gradually rising, that lovely moon

Why is the Moonlight silent after setting me on Fire 
and the beautiful evening signals me away from sleep

4. Aao Tumhen Chand Pe Le Jayen:  Let’s take you to the moon (where santa claus lives 
according to this  song...not the North Pole..Too far from India!! :)  
This song is a famous Bollywood Lullaby from the 1970s!! 

5. Chand Sifarish Jo Karta Hamari: If moon recommended me to you...it would 
have told you that I ‘like you’ (english subtitles)

6. CHANDA CHAMKE (the moon shines):  A tongue twister--to be sung with children!!

I TRULY HOPE THE READERS WILL NEVER SEE ‘THE MOON’ THE SAME AGAIN...

ENJOY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment