In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Monday, January 31, 2011

URO FIJI

These are few memories of the cap. The pic was taken minutes before the much needed wind blew it away!! Ah, but I can still hear the music that was playing at the shop I bought this cap. The name of the shop? URO!!



Over the summer, the itinerary was Sweden, Singapore, Indonesia, Singapore, India, Singapore, Portugal, Spain, Portugal then back to Sweden. This is not to talk about how great travel is. Or to brag about it, but simply to say that there are things that we do not care much about and come easily to us. Others we may crave, and not attain. Better to enjoy what we get then!! As they said in 3 Idiots 'ALL iS WELL!!'


However, this is to emphasize that incessant travel can be quite disorienting and debilitating.


To my fiji friends, this summer, when I was on a tourist bus in Portugal, and busy taking pictures of the beautiful sites, a strong gush of wind blew away my favorite baseball cap, that I bought in Fiji.


It was not just any cap by the way. On top of being red, it had URO FIJI printed across the top. My heart sank as I saw it go on to the street and disappear in front of my eyes. I could not locate it. For a few minutes I kept wondering if I should get off the bus and look for it. But I was leaving the country that evening, and had little time to spare. My heart was sad for the next few days. I kept hoping I would get it back. Or it would show up at some point.


You know, “here I am!!” “Master!!”


Or say, “Hey Friend, did you forget me in the warmer part of Europe this year?”


But no, it did not come back.


I thought of all the places it had been with me. I am attaching a few pics here to show that.


But I had to let it go. It is a part of Fiji for me. My Fiji. That is quite URO!!


So, it made me look up the word URO on the internet. (What did we do before that?) How did we learn? )


Anyway Folks here is the information.


Uro

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Uro can refer to any of the following:

  • Aurochs the predecessor of modern cattle

Ah but here is what I learnt in Fiji (here it is directly cut and pasted from ask.com)...

Fijian meaning for the word URO?



Uro means sexy!! eg, 'Oh that guy is so uro!!'


I had first heard the word when P, one of my first students in Fiji had yelled at a fellow journalist, who was both an alum from USP and a national celebrity. I had thought the word meant, 'silly, or charming' until months later someone told me. URO, then is a word that says more than what it says, it comes with a certain enthusiasm, positive attitude and a desire to complement.


So my friends from Fiji….., next time you see me, will you please, please please buy me a cap from that shop URO in Suva and get me one that says, URO Fiji.


I will pay for it.


For we all know what URO Fiji means eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment