In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Friday, May 3, 2019

Kanine Kismet

First published on June 13th of 2011, here it is again, simply for its story!!


Little doggy in his owner's arms --Swedish train, March, 2011


Little doggy being carried in his/her owners carry bag.  Karlstad Train Station, Sweden, March, 2011. 



A man that looks like he is homeless sleeps on a roadside bench, as Kanine with a better kismet takes his owner out for a stroll.  Prague, Czech Republic, April 2011



'Oh, not to worry, we have Dennis.  He keeps a watch on and for all of us" I was told, when I was moving to live on campus in Fiji.

Dennis, is a true watch-dog.  Who, I am sure, still patrols the main campus in Fiji.

'He used to belong to this couple that lived here about a year ago. When they left, they left him behind.  Now he is our campus dog.'  I was told.

Everynight when I got home late, he barked at the sound of my footsteps, when I was still half a mile away.  When I got closer for him to hear and recognize my voice, I would bark back, *Shut up Dennis, its me'

Didn't matter what time of the day it was.   But when he heard me, he squealed a bit, and then rested until he heard someone else.

Dennis kept a watch on all of us.  Whether or not he was fed.  When fed, he was usually given left overs.  He still kept the watch.  He knew us.  Though he barked, he never came close to hurting anyone who lived around our quarters.  He had bitten a few guards, but only because he saw them as strangers since they came to our campus only occasionally.

Whenever I think of these other dogs, being held, coddled and cosseted, I can't help but think that not just humans but animals come with their own kismet as well.  Some are left to fend for themselves even when they defend neighborhoods that are ungrateful and negligent.  Others are held in arms, even when all they do is ask for attention and sulk when they are not given any.  In Botswana these dogs were called, 'white people's dogs'.  Dogs for decorative, and not utilitarian purposes.  These dogs were a liability, they demanded your time, were fed adequately.  Often times with meals bought and custom  cooked for them.  For all we know all the caring diluted their sniffing power.  Why would anyone want a dog like that?  May be rich people with time and money. Or others who are lonely and can afford the attention that these dogs need.

I still think it is unfair, that sometimes the kindest of dogs are left on streets, just because they are not pretty or never had the luxury of being a 'house dog.'  Just  like we wonder about inequalities with regards to resources that we were alloted, I wonder about the resources that dogs have access to.

Kanine Kismet is the only way, I think, we can explain it.




No comments:

Post a Comment