In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Friday, November 13, 2020

Swedish Tradition

FIRST PUBLISHED ON FOURTH OF FEBRUARY 2013. Then on November 26, 2017, here it is again a s we are back in the season of cold and dark...



I had to publish this again today, since I just got in ---freezing rain, dark evening made me realise that I had not lit the big outdoor candle even once in November. Just too busy and come home too late.  As I put the lamp outside the house for the passers by, for those who have to be  outdoors in such a wretched weather, I knew I had to re-publish this.  

PS: And also because as always, even though I have much to say,I have not been able to write. 


Swedish Tradition



I have forced myself to go to Stockholm at least once a month. I should start exploring other cities, but I have a regular route in Stockholm that I know very well.  And a day trip is manageable from Karlstad.  So I leave as late as 8:30 am and am back as early as 9:30 pm. 

At the train station, there is this classy store called 'Design Torget' (pronounced Toriet)  You can look it up on the web.  Some very creative designers sell their products at Design Torget.  Just window shopping is an amazing experience.  Also, they have books sometimes.  And I have been eyeing this book  titled Swedish Traditions, for weeks now. I think my next visit to Stockholm, I will buy it.  

I am sure there are many traditions that do not get mentioned in that book.  Those simple things you learn by living in the country.  So, here is one that picked up upon my stay in Sverige.  If I were to move somewhere, where it is not as dark...I will be sorry to leave it.  In India, some people still keep the ritual of lighting a lamp and keeping it in the yard, or at small indoor shrine. 




Leaving Candles outside the door or by the street is an everyday affair through Swedish winters.  It both indicates that someone is home and warms all those who pass by the 'dwelling'!


Tiny Indoor lanterns!!

As the night falls, which is quite early in Swedish winters...you can see real lamps, not just electric lamps, but real oil lamps, outdoor candles in lanterns, or specifically designed candles on a stick that can be pushed into the ground or a planter outside homes.  Some people will keep bright lights all through the winter.  You can actually buy special lanterns that meant for the outdoors, either for the ground or to be hung on brittle branches of trees.  There are also candle stands, specifically made for the outdoors.  Often made of cast iron, they are sturdy.  The ones in the picture above are not meant for candles but a small outdoors fire.  I had a few friends over to celebrate Lohri (will write about it later).  And needed a mould where we could create a contained fire.  In India Lohri is celebrated with huge bonfires.  I could not afford that, so had to buy this container.  When I asked a friend, 'Hey I do not want to be spending money on things I will use only once'.  That's always my concern, since I am such a gypsy. 

He said, 'Not to worry, this is Sweden, you can easily afford a summer fire!!' And that is true, just because we have more and bright light does not translate into warm days. 

But since that day, nearly three weeks ago, I have been using it to keep a candle outside my door.  

The thing is that when you close your door, which you must in Swedish winters, you do not enjoy these candles or lights.  You often cannot see them.  And once lit, you forget about them, unless they are electric and you need to turn them off at some point.

So who are they for?  They are for those who pass by your house.  They indicate that someone lives in the building/house, apartment.  They also send a warmth to those who pass by your place. Imagine coming home after sundown, which in Sweden can be as early as 3 pm during winters.  And walking past these big flames, licking the cold, flirting with ice, and occasionally giving out a crackle of joy.  One after the other, you notice them.  And smile back.  

Because it does feel as if the owners of these places have left a smile for you, at their doors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment