In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Sunday, February 5, 2017

Copenhagen, Happy Hour and Free Hugs


Copenhagen, 2013


I have been to Copenhagen twice, and both times I stayed at the same hostel.  Nice, clean and very close to the train station. Copenhagen is about 7 hrs from here, but only 45 minutes train ride from Malmö, Sweden, where I have been for conferences etc.

The issue with hostels is that rooms can be quite crammed so one has to spend time in the lounge, which is usually very loud.  

Usually, I will still stay in the room and read. But this one time I did spend an hour at the 'happy hour'.   This fee hug thing fascinates me.  It is very interesting.  I come from quite a 'huggy' community and family in general. But free hugs??  They feel good, for sure.  But are they also a response to the fact that people are living alone, and not really connected with each other?

Here at the department, I have two very close friends. One from Spain and One from Kenya, every time they see me, and that can be several times a week, they hug me.  It is such a beautiful feeling.  It is often strange for those around us.  But I so enjoy the warmth.  Both of them took a class or two with me and both are now PhD students.  Also, both of them have been collaborators in publications. While I think free hugs are great, nice and beautiful concept, I think it is better to have friends you have known a long time, make a tradition of hugging each other ---and more than often.  

But still, that evening in Copenhagen, amid the evening buzz, and laughter during the dinner, to free hugs did bring smile and warmth to many. 
PS: the book reading is on, and I will share more when I have the time to type some excerpts from the book.






No comments:

Post a Comment