In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Sunday, December 10, 2017

Loneliness and Solitude






The above two quotes are from a book I have been reading, by the famous Professor Sherry Turkle .   This is something I have dealt with for a long time. But at least I wrote letters, and I called people.  Until recently, when I am just too tired to any of it.  Since I used to be the one who called and wrote.

Its taken a toll and my computer has become my friend.  I have recently uploaded a program called rescue time, which blocks the internet for me.  So I can continue to read and write on the computer.  It also tracks my time so that I can see where I am wasting my time.

But I noticed this a while ago that people have forgotten how to make friends, I mean long before Facebook and twitter.   And think, more and more meditation courses like vipassana and kriya yoga will become important, because there people will learn to develop will power to live without technology for a few days, which I have incorporated in my classes as an assignment.

If you read this, and it makes you think, then for a week, take about 30 minutes without any technology, learn to read for no reason, or meditate, or write a letter. Avoid phones all together.  Go for a walk, make a snack and let the sounds of nature entertain you.  

Then, you will enjoy solitude and would have challenged loneliness.



No comments:

Post a Comment