In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Friday, April 10, 2020

Spring time is Semla Time (Våren är Semla Tid)!!

And there are never enough posts about Semla.....First published on March 9, 2014--Here it is--as it is  that time of the year...





And its Semla time again.  
Semla: Singular
Semlor: Plural


Spring in the US meant Crocuses and eggs. I can speak of the east-coast.  The bite in the air is much milder, you are likely to forget your gloves at home, and when you step out, your car takes less time to get started.

I used to love seeing Daffodils everywhere.  

Its not that different here.  Crocuses are showing their heads, and daffodils are in the stores.  Its still a few weeks before we see daffodils in the ground.  

I don't have a car, so I do not need to worry about starting a car.  But I do need to worry about how well am I dressed, how warm am I? Have I taken my gloves and hat, even if I do not need it as I step out the door. I know I will need it in ten minutes.

For us though, come Spring, especially 'Fettisdag' Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, we flock towards 'Semla' the delicious bun filled with cream and almonds and sugar (an earlier blogpost was dedicated to it and spring time rituals. (Click here to read).

Although now we start to see Semla shortly after Christmas, about thirty years ago, Semla was sold only on one day.  Fettisdag!!  Fat Tuesday.  The tuesday before Ash Wednesday.

Then it started to be sold between Fettisdag and Påsk (easter).  Today, as is the case around the world, we want instant and prolonged gratification----so we get Semla between Jul and Påsk (pronounced Pausk) (Christmas and Easter).  Yet, Sweden has  maintained certain old ways, and therefore restricts (traditionally and not via government policies) the sale of Semla to three months. 

Even then, there is some excitement.  Semla is associated with Spring. Its associated with lightness and brightness and sweetness that is revealed in nature during Spring---

And it is customary to eat Semla both on Fettisdag, and Påsk.  After Påsk, we wait until next year!!  

This year Fettisdag was March 4.  And Påsk is April 20. 















No comments:

Post a Comment