In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Friday, May 21, 2021

Old greetings for new times




PS:  MY HANDS AND SHOULDERS WERE TIRED AND I USED DICTATION MODE AND --HENCE THE MISTAKES.  FIXING THEM NOW. 

Folks, pardon the last post, it was a bit (more than) messed up.  While I was writing the new one, I realised I had written on with the same theme, nearly a decade ago. I wanted to combine them. But still could not bring them together in a cohesive and coherent manner. Mainly because of time. I left it at that and hope to fix that post.

But I did not want to miss a Friday.

Here comes another one.  I do not want to comment on the current news about India and the crisis. I stopped watching news many years ago .  Now the news comes to me. People keep asking me if everything is okay and if it is as bad as the media tells. 

I'm terribly sorry for the loss of those who have lost.  Even one life lost is one too many. And I do not want to play the number game. Anyone who understands statistics, should understand ratios, and also understand proportions. What we need to keep in mind is that India is 1,300,000,000 people.

Now think of that with regards to 'small' population nations, say 30, 40, 100 or even 300 million. 

And what about changes in life style and things to consider --during this pandemic.  How we behave and how we greet???

Those things were a part of Indian lifestyle from centuries ago.  The greeting of NAMASTE --which is now restricted to yoga studios--is the most sane way of greeting in this pandemic.  Sadly, even the young in India do not say that to each other--. So namaste, is actually a very smart greeting.  You bring up your hands together and bow--bowing to the divinity that lies within each of us--also doing so without ever touching the person you greet. Makes complete sense in warm and humid environments to prevent any exchange of sweat and germs.

I noticed that that manner of greeting is also used in Thailand, Nepal, Bali, Sri Lanka and many Asian countries.  Did it travel from India or was it created because of the climate, or because of an intense spiritual culture.  Not sure.  

But here you can read all about Nameste, (click here) and learn a few more interesting facts about why that greeting is useful, beneficial for all.  There is a reason Hinduism is called 'Sanatan Dharma" meaning the law, the way of supporting the world, -without a beginning and without an end.  No prophet, not one book...but many, many...books and many messengers and ongoing...meaning...'there is no only, or last prophet, we keep getting them, and so we have Swami Vivekananda (early 20th century) to Sadhguru and Sri Sri Ravi Shankar (20th and 21st century).








No comments:

Post a Comment