In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Sunday, October 21, 2012

First Sunrise with Ouma/Aaji/Grandmother


First Sunrise with Grandmother: Bluff, Durban, South Africa, July 2012


For the five days that I stayed at Anstey's I made sure I watched the sunrise and the sunsets.  I have mentioned else place that I never tire of watching these two miracles of the day.  These sunsets and sunrises reminded me of Fiji, although it was too cold for Fiji.

This blessed morning I saw a 7 year old hopping along his grandmother.  I was reminded of my nephew.  And my craziness kicks in when I see children. Without fear I approach them, extend my hand either to shake or take them in my arms, depending on their size.

Here before I could say anything to the boy, his grandmother said, 'This is his first sunrise by the beach.  He is visiting me, so I wanted to make sure he did not miss it.'

Ah first sunrise!!  I asked his name. I have forgotten it now, but I remember telling him that it was a beautiful name.  I am putting this here for two reasons.  One, that he may find it sometime and see his first sunrise behind him in this picture.  Two, that others who read this are inspired to take a youngster, whether or not they are related to them for a sunrise viewing!!  I am sure the young ones will cherish it for years to come.

There is a scene in one of my favorite movies, 'The Namesake', when the father and son walk close to the ocean to take a picture of the sunset and realize that they forgot to bring the camera.  The father, played by Irfan says, 'Gogol will you remember this moment?  You have to remember this moment'

Little Gogol says, 'remember what?

'The day we came so far, that there was no more further to go' says the father and little Gogol nods.

(The words are not exact, you have to check out the movie for that).

Life is made of so many of those moments when we forgot our camera.  This post is dedicated to those sunny memories etched in our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment