In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Sunday, December 24, 2017

An Unusual Answer!

First Published on December 27, 2014, I am republishing this--continuing with the double theme of may students, teaching and Japan.

And update about the this precious student, this past summer, 2017, he graduated in flying from an MA from our department!!





The picture was taken in Hiroshima,  Japan, 2009, in a museum dedicated to those affected by the atomic bombing, which if we think deeply enough….is the entire world!



I ran into him around Swedish election results.  He was a bit hassled because Sverige Demokrtana had won more votes than ever before.  For those who do not know, Sverige Demokrtana is, however mild, the anti-immgration party of Sweden.  I am always amazed at how many Swedes are afraid whenever it gains a few votes.  That shows how Swedes love their respect for freedom and how deeply ingrained the value of equality is in the culture.  Things are changing and will change-- as is inevitable--because things have always been in transition and changing.  But Sweden has taken the best of what religions claim 'kindness, respect for humanity, a balance of work and rest' and incorporated into its culture--without the rigidity of religion. 

So, to see C's face a bit upset about the rise of Swedish Democrats power in the parliament was not unusual.  I am used to that expression.  After we talked briefly, we set up a time to meet to sit and chat, and catch up.

He was my student, over three years ago.  A quiet thoughtful young man.  I did not see him for nearly two years and then this year we ran into each other and started talking about life.  My schedule is crazy, so I hardly spend time with students outside of the class, but am deeply aware that I do want to spend time with my students to learn from them.  I keep thinking my life is in transition, so I should take the best of what I have.  One of the best things I have are my students.  And I have met some special ones in Sweden. 

So, despite the crazy schedule, I make time for a half hour chat, or a coffee with some of my students.  

So we met at Glantan, a small cafe in the student hall, for a cup of tea.  We talked about live and dreams and hopes and aspirations.  Among other things I remember him telling me was that he collects rainwater, because his mom taught him that.  That way you make the best of natural resources.  The rain water may not be used for drinking but can be used to water plants and do other chores.  I marveled at this simple and sustainable technique.   Now that is religion, taking care of nature, being a bit extra thoughtful in how to use the resources.  I knew an American woman in Fiji, who had lived in Tonga for over three decades who did the same.  

During our conversation, I asked C, so what are you passionate about, what do you want to do with your life.  He stayed silent for a bit, shook his head, covered his face  with his hand, removed his hand, ran his fingers through his hair--all of the took less than ten seconds, and then he gave me an answer, which I wish to live my life by….


"I want to learn in a way to be the best I can be, as a human being and take that and apply to wherever I go…"

Such wisdom!!

What more could we ask for--I know he's fine, he will be fine no matter what he chooses to do, but more than that, that we are grateful to have such young people around who inspire us to be --the best that we can be----


No comments:

Post a Comment