In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Sunday, December 10, 2017

Be Specific about the Weather Please

First Published on December 29, 2010.  I am republishing this since I snowed heavily today!!  And these young women will enjoy looking at their pictures from before. Both of the these young women have returned to their homes. They were my first students and helped me much in adjusting in the my first two years in Sweden.  


Two young ladies take a break during their walk upto the lake. The lake lies in its frozen glory behind them. A different color, each season. Reminds me of an old hindi song, 'Pani re Pani, tera rang kaise' (Water, takes on the color of what it reflects and whatever it blends with)


December 8, 2010 ( MINUS 22 degrees)

Be Specific About the Weather Please


From my window, all I can see is silver snow.

My radio, as always tuned to NPR ...apologies, my computer is what I meant. The last thing I heard was…’30 years ago today John Lennon was shot down....and where were you then?’

These stories make interesting reads. Where were you when Kennedy, Rabin, Rajiv Gandhi, Mahatma Gandhi, Indira Gandhi were assassinated?

Me, I am far, far away from such thoughts. All is frozen around us. And it seems there are no roads, allis ice and snow.pastedGraphic.pdf

I must admit, also very beautiful.

Yesterday I stood at the bus stop in my woolen Phiran. Phiran is commonly worn woolen garment in the northern Indian State of Kashmir and adjacent states in Pakistan. (I am sure a similar outfit is worn else place with a similar climate and is called a different name.) The garment is very much like the Kameez, the shirt that accompanies north Indian outfits such as Kurta Pyjama, Churidaar or Salwar Kameez. Usually a long shirt that comes to the knees, Phiran’s identifying characteristic is the ornate embroidery around the neck and cuffs. Florals are the most common motifs used.

I had had the courage to wear only because the day before yesterday was really warm... minus two.

So yesterday when it felt like someone was stabbing my cheek bones, and it was already dark at before 4 pm, I asked the pretty young girl standing at the bus stop, ‘What is the temperature you think?’

Despite PA, despite Suva I never got into checking the weather channel. I mean where is our freedom, dress up the way you feel like it, with or without layers.

The girl, who mustn’t be older than 16 years, nodded gently, "my mom said it was 14 this morning" but might be 20 now."

‘Aren’t you forgetting something?’, I asked her, ‘Say the word "minus"?’.

She nodded vigorously. And managed to muster a smile at my ODD question.


NPR states that they have ‘a snow warning´--lake effect in Pennsylvania.

What is a warning? We have had snow since October 20.

But I have to admit it is gorgeous. It so stunningly beautiful. Snow seems to be growing on the trees rather than falling on them…. The really tall ones look like huge men, made of web of snow, sliver of ice and moonlight. The short trees look like cotton trees, only taller. As if the leaves and flowers are all white hanging elegantly on the black base.

As I wish people a very merry Christmas and a very happy new year, I cannot help but think that, truly speaking this is the place to have a Christmas.

It seems like Santa will run through on his sleigh any time now...:))

No comments:

Post a Comment