In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Friday, October 19, 2018

Swedish Traditions @sweden---Cinnamon Buns & Pizza days






The one in green that says, Fössta Tossdan i mass--is my favourite.  Its what they call a Pincess Torta---a Princess Cake.  Light sponge cake with cream filling, covered with marzipan paste!!  Absolute delight to look at and a tickle for your taste buds--well a very gentle tickle.  Its the after taste that is so filling, so refreshing and so good. 




So, the next thing they did a poll on was which cake would people like to learn about.  Guess which one won? Which one would you have like to learn about? Mine would have been the Marzipan cake day....for obvious reasons.....





There is a term called Lördag goodies!!  Meaning Saturday sweets!!  A Swedish tradition to allow children and adults to hog sweets.  But there is also the 'pizza time' which is usually the weekends. Essentially, weekends are a free pass to gorge on not so healthy foods!!




Although the following tweet gives a different story, most of my colleagues have told me that pizza became really popular only in the 1980s.  And believe it or not, there were no Malls, called Gallerias, in Sweden until 1990s!!  The same time India got them...damn that liberalisation....





















Despite living here for so long, I still think I know so little about this country.  my language is much much better (I study everyday for 30-60 minutes)---and the more I learn, the more I am convinced, that I will forever remain ignorant about so many things in this country or any other country that I have lived in, including India.

No comments:

Post a Comment