In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Thursday, July 25, 2019

Celebrating a Decade: Lean on Me: McDonald's new slogan

First published on April 7, 2011 this is the second most popular blog (all according to blogger analytics) in the last ten years.  I still remember where and when I took it.  I had been collecting pictures of McDonald's from around the world, and this one was a definite winner.  All my issues with this fast-food joint aside....




Lean on Me



The above picture was taken in Singapore, July 2010.  I could not resist taking it.  Out of fear, I did not get too close.  Seconds after I took the picture, the man woke up. But up until then, it truly seemed like McDonald's could proudly sing...'Lean on Me' and use this picture as their logo!!



I take pictures of McDonald's around the world. Many of them look the same. However, some others have a bit of 'glocal' in them.  The way Ronald McDonald joins his hands in an Asian greeting at one such joint in Bangkok, or how greetings are always written in the local languages, or how in countries like India, McDonald's does not serve many meat based and no beef or pork based dishes.  Does it make it any more 'cultural though?"  Fast food and street food are not the same. Street food in the countries where you can buy it, is always reflective of a culture, a civilization.  McDonalds reeks of 'adaptation and evolution with a motive'.  Not natural....not desirable---like genetically modified food.  You may disagree!! 


McDondald's is always a jumping joint....in most countries.  Sweden remains an exception.  This picture was taken in Singapore, 2010.  Open 24 hrs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment